Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Saturday, 17 November 2012

How Many Lives Does an Author Live?

Deadly to Love Update
I have beaten my computer and finally formatted Deadly to Love! I have been putting off the task for days as  I couldn't face the coding involved but the book is now ready for release on the 29th November after one last check. There is also a cover reveal taking place on the 25th (still time if you want to take part, just contact me via my contact page).


How Many Lives Does an Author Live?

For a few years now I have felt like I have been living at least a triple life. I'm not sure what it is like for other authors but I am constantly trying to balance tasks from my separate lives. Even though I love what I do and wouldn't change it for the world when it comes to switching between identities, I feel like I have even more than James Bond!

There are three main identities that I live under:

1. Normal Me – Family Life, College, Friends etc.

2. Author – Writing, Characters, Promoting, Formatting, Blogging etc.

3. Reviewer – Reading, Reviewing, Blogging etc.

Even though these lives interlink and blend into one I feel that what I do in each is technically a separate part of me.

While I'm just me I'm talking about normal issues, getting dragged to places I don't want to be and spending time with my friends and family. This is probably my social side (well as social as I get anyway). I also have to go to college, which leaves me with a load of work and distracts me from my novels… I won't get into that right now though. This side of myself is easy to lose amongst the chaos in my head, especially when the writer in me takes over.

When I am living in my author's world, anything goes. I find it incredibly hard to switch off once I am in this place as my mind is constantly thinking about possible novels or what is going to happen next in a series. Also I prefer to blend into the background instead of being the centre of attention so I’m always observing my surroundings for things that could be good in a novel.

While I’m writing, I guess you could say I'm living my characters’ lives too as I am technically creating what happens, what they think or do. However there are other sides to this version of myself. Due to the fact I am self-published I have to do everything, so under the identity of author there is also; publicist, blogger, graphic designer, formatter (probably not the official title) and editor (although I do outsource for this too). This is probably the identity I live under most as I love all aspects of writing. However, because it's not a normal job where you'd leave for the day at 5pm, my work follows me wherever I go, which make it increasingly difficult to stop due to the ideas in my head.

Finally there is also the reviewer side of myself. When I am not writing I love relaxing with a good book and a hot chocolate. This side of me is probably the most distant though as I like to keep everything to do with reviewing separate from my work. As well as this, because I read so many books I guess you could say I am living or experiencing that character's life too as I follow them throughout the novel and get immersed in the story.

Overall I would say that authors lead hundreds of lives and it only grows with the amount of books they read and write. Sometimes it gets confusing and I find myself asking "OK who am I now?" but I wouldn't change it for anything. I enjoy every aspect of being an author and I'm only growing to become more certain that this is what I want to do. If all fails though, at least I'd have a career as a spy...



4 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments. Sometimes it's tough to shift from author mode to dealing with the phone calls, bleh. My head is somewhere else entirely and the person on the other end can usually tell they're only getting a smidgeon of head space.

    Love your blog outlay. Best, Dy

    www.dyloveday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Dy, my writing follows me everywhere and is always on my mind. Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting post!

    Lauren
    http://lrjohnson13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates