Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Ideas Lead to Insomnia

Yes, I am once again not getting any sleep due my crazy writing time of 11pm - 3am. 

Now that I have finished college and exams, I am left with a year off and nothing to do but write! I have taken a break from editing and writing for a couple of weeks (I think I deserved one after having no social life for the past 5 months) but I'm getting back into things finally. 

Of cours,e while I am editing I am also planning Elemental Killers #3 so this means my head is constantly full of ideas that I am trying to weave into the book and therefore, I am awake until the early hours of the morning as I just can't switch off...

I have been told numerous times that I have an incredibly overactive imagination. Something that becomes most evident once I have watched a horror movie or read a scary novel and I’m lying awake for hours - because I have freaked myself out envisioning the characters are real. I must admit at this point it doesn’t seem like such a good thing to have, however when generating ideas for new books it comes in handy and I find myself lying awake due to all of the ideas in my head rather than fear.


The initial ideas for my books have various ways of coming about. Some are taken from dreams I have had while others are based on real life experiences. These two things normally only generate the main genre or theme of the novel though, for example in Deadly to Love I had the initial thought of a modern day romance but I wanted the main characters to meet in a different way that broke the stereotypical college romance. As well as this I also wanted a paranormal element which led me into some fun research.


However, because Elemental Killers #3 is a continuation of the series, the characters, world and general outline for the story is already there and I don't have to do all that again. I may have a few new characters to create but most of my sleep deprivation comes from the frequent 'eureka' moments that start off as a small addition about where I can take the book, before snowballing as one thing leads to the next. 

I get excited by the smallest idea which leads to my brain starting up again and if that happens there's no hope for me. Also, I have found that I will never get to sleep if I don’t write these down as I'm thinking about not forgetting it so much. Doing this then to leads onto another idea though so either way I'm not going to sleep.

This is what is happening with Elemental Killers #3 right now and as well as this I have the final book, and a new story I can't wait to write crammed into my head. I'm not complaining though as this it what I love and now that I have a year off these crazy nights don't have such a negative effect in the morning due to lie ins! 


4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem.. A lot of the time I am trying to go to sleep and my brain is going but I am too tired to do anything about it so I just lay there thinking of it and hoping I can remember it later.. But I have taken to writing things down (about a page of an idea) and then putting it aside with the notion to come back later and work on it.. It seems to be helping the overloading of my brain at the moment.

    Best of luck while you get things sorted out. But maybe your brain is just super excited for the nonschool break and it catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Amber. Ideas seem to have the opposite effect on me. If I get an idea it wakes me up. For some reason I find the night best for me in terms of writing - maybe because it's dark, quiet and I have no distractions. It just happens to be when my mind's most alive so I have run with it and now do most writing then.

    You're right though I am happy that I have a gap year and can't be more relieved to have the stress of exams behind me. It is however my ideas I am most excited about as I can finally do what I love as opposed to focusing on exams/subjects I don't have the same passion for :) I've been writing since I was 4 so it's great to be able to spend a year doing something I love and hopefully make a dent in the 9 books I've planned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess it's good that insomnia is good for something! I tend to lay there with a million things running through my head too - guess I need to start writing!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah there are plenty of things besides ideas running through my head. Half the time I don't know what's going on up there though! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates