Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Friday, 29 November 2013

Interview with Andria Buchanan - Author of Everlast

Today I have the author of Everlast, Andria Buchanan, with me for an interview. SHe has some great answers so enjoy!


Quick Fire Questions:
Everlast Cover
Night or day? Night 
Summer or winter? Summer
Cats or dogs? Dogs 
Tea, coffee or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
Favourite colour? purple
Who’s your book boyfriend? Harry Potter till the bitter end 
What superpower would you have? Superspeed 
What superhero would you be? Elastigirl 
Favourite writing snack? Chocolate 
Pirates or ninjas? Ninjas all the way 
A book that’s made you laugh the most? The Rosie Project 
A book that’s made you cry? The Book of Joe 
Favourite chocolate? Snickers bars

Interview
  1. Hi, thank you for agreeing to an interview! Firstly why don’t you tell us a little about yourself and what you like to do when you’re not writing?

There is such a thing as not writing? Really? No, seriously when I’m not writing I’ve got two kids, two dogs and an absent minded husband that I have to chase around—which is why I try to stick to writing as much as I can.

  1. When and what made you decide to become an author?

I don’t know if I actually decided. I always sort of tinkered around with writing as a hobby and it was something I wanted to improve at so when someone suggested an editing class to me I jumped at the idea. Then, at the end of the class the editor teaching it offered to buy the book I’d been working on and it all sort of snowballed from there. Now I’m just making it up as I go along.

  1. What do you enjoy most about writing?
The first draft. I love the magic that comes from the first round of getting an idea that had originally been trapped inside my head down on paper.

  1. I’m always interested in how other authors name their characters. How and what do you use to name yours?

I have a baby name generator I use online. It asks you to put in gender and then you can choose a letter to start with and it generates a list of names. Then I choose last names by street sign.

  1. What gave you the idea for Everlast and the series? Is anything inspired by real life or people?

I actually wrote Everlast for my daughter. She was 8 at the time and she was complaining that she couldn’t read my adult romance novels so I wrote her a series all her own.

  1. What made you decide to write paranormal and YA novels?

I write paranormal because it’s what I love to read and I have a daughter so I love writing things that she can read and give me feedback on and now that I’ve started reading YA I’ve found that I love the plots as much as she does. Plus, it gives us something to talk about.

  1. Which characters were your favourite and least favourite to create and why?

I loved writing Esmeralda just because her voice was always very clear and very snarky in my mind. Meanwhile I hated writing Talia because I was always concerned she sounded too “mom like”.

  1. Do you ever get writer’s block? What do you do when it happens?

All the time. And unfortunately my writer’s block habit involves chocolate so I really don’t recommend it. I’ve been trying working out and cleaning house to get my mind back into writing mode but somehow it never seems to work as well as a snickers bar does.

  1. Is there a book you haven't written yet that you're dying to? What genre?

I have so many books in so many genres that I want to write. Next year I’m really hoping to focus on getting out more YA/NA books that are contemporaries but who knows what else might come up in the meantime?
  1. What is your process for writing? Do you plan the whole novel or just let the words flow?

I am a neurotic planner. Usually before I start a novel I have between twenty and thirty pages of notes just to get me started.
  1. At what point did you actually start to feel like you were a writer?

I’m still waiting for that to happen.
  1. What is the best piece of advice you received from someone?
You can’t please everyone all of the time but you can do your best to live a life that pleases yourself.
  1. What advice would you give to an aspiring author?
Write. Write. Write. Accept that you may never win the Pulitzer. Have a snickers bar. Write some more. At the end of the day that’s what this all comes down to. If you don’t write you can’t publish.
Thank you Andria and good luck with your writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates