Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Monday, 18 November 2013

Interview with Jade Varden

I'm delighted to host author, Jade Varden on my blog today. She was the first author to ever contact me for a review and I loved her book so much I went out and purchsed the rest of the series. If you have time, go and check out Deck of Lies!

~*~

MH: Hi Jade, thank you for agreeing to an interview! Firstly why don’t you tell us a little about yourself and what you like to do when you’re not writing?
JV: Thanks so much for having me! When I’m not writing, I like to bake. I spend days in the kitchen before every major holiday.

MH: When and what made you decide to become an author?
JV: It was a decision I made when I was 9, actually. I read a book that really struck me, and by the end of the first chapter I knew that I also wanted to tell stories.

MH: What do you enjoy most about writing?
JV: I’m always amazed by how sometimes it happens away from the page. I’ll just start creating a scene in my head, and I’ll have to run to go write it down.

MH: I’m always interested in how other authors name their characters. How and what do you use to name yours? 
JV: Lots of different methods, actually. I like baby name websites a lot. Sometimes I search for names based on a meaning or on a letter, maybe a country of origin. For some characters I might choose historic names that mean something to me. And when all else fails, I start playing around with an anagram.

MH: What gave you the idea for Deck of Lies and is anything inspired by real life or people? 

JV: I got the idea for the Deck of Lies series while watching TV. It was a show about mistaken identity, and it got me to wondering what would happen if you were taken from your family, and put into a new family all of a sudden. Some of the characters in the books are certainly inspired by real life, but with exaggerated traits.

MH: The Deck of Lies series is full of unpredictable twists, did you have to plan them all out or did you make it up as you were writing? 
JV: I did a lot of planning, but inevitably my plans changed as I went along. A few twists surprised me; they just seemed to appear while I was writing.

MH: What made you decide to write novels based on crime? 
JV: I’ve always loved mysteries of any kind. I’m particularly drawn to unsolved cases and stories about missing people.

MH: Which characters were your favourite and least favourite to create and why? 
JV: I always balk at creating “bad guys.” I want to find something redeeming in everyone. My favorite character in the Deck of Lies series, other than the main character Rain, is probably River.

MH: You mentioned you have a new release coming up (which I’m excited to start) are you able to give us any details as to what it’s about, when we can expect it etc?
JV: My new book Hope’s Rebellion takes place in a dystopian society where your hair color is a huge factor in your status. The story revolves around three girls who are sort of accidentally thrown together. They each have to choose whether they’re going to be loyal to each other or to the rules of their world.

MH: What is your process for writing? Do you plan the whole novel or just let the words flow? 
JV: I’m a big believer in the detailed outline. I have outlines for several different stories I haven’t gotten around to writing…yet.

MH: What’s one of the first things you remember writing? Do you still have it? 
JV: I believe it was a short story about dolls. I think they turned out to be evil. And I may in fact still have it. I have this really old, beat up leather bag that’s filled with handwritten pages of my very early writing.

MH: Your blog gives a lot of great writing tips. What do you find is the best way for indie authors to promote their work? 
JV: Blogging is actually a good way to do it. With a blog you can get people interested in your writing. If they really like what they read, maybe they’ll buy your books because they enjoy your voice.

MH: What is the best piece of advice you received from someone? 
JV: Don’t give up.

MH: What advice would you give to an aspiring author? 
JV: Give up. No I’m kidding. Just read your work. Read it and edit it and polish it until it practically makes you sick.

MH: What is one interesting thing people would be surprised to know about you? 
JV: I’m a vegetarian. I haven’t had any meat for a decade!

About the Author

Jade Varden writes young adult novels for teen readers. When she’s not crafting mysteries in her books, Jade also blogs practical writing tips for authors who self-publish. Jade currently makes her home in Louisville, Kentucky, where she enjoys reading and reviewing indie books by other self-published authors. Follow her on Twitter @JadeVarden. Visit Jade’s blog at: http://jadevarden.blogspot.com/ for reviews, writing tips, self-publishing advice and everything else you ever wanted to know about reading and writing books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates