Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Guest Post ~ Beneath Manhattan Skies by Emma Meade

Beneath Manhattan Skies 
Emma Meade


Genre: New Adult, Paranormal Romance (Vampires)
ISBN-13: 978-1492192879

Book Description:

November in New York is cold but full of possibility for college freshman Erin Harris. When her twin brother, Nick, shows up on her doorstep for a surprise visit, Erin is delighted. Unfortunately, Nick’s arrival coincides with the discovery of a body outside her apartment building, a body drained of blood. Right away, Nick assumes vampires are involved. He’s not exactly their biggest fan since Erin dated one in high school.

Juggling nosy roommates, a first date with a gorgeous guy from college and a brother on a Van Helsing kick is enough to keep any nineteen year old girl busy - And then Erin’s old flame walks back into her life.

Is Erin destined to be caught up in supernatural shenanigans, or will she choose a different path?

*Beneath Manhattan Skies is a standalone story, following the character Erin Harris from Under the Desert Moon.

Guest Post

Hi Mia,

Thanks for having me over today to talk about the role of music in my new book, Beneath Manhattan Skies.

Soundtrack to Beneath Manhattan Skies

Whenever writer’s block strikes, or I just find myself stuck on a certain scene or chapter and can’t seem to find my way forward, I take out the iPod or visit YouTube to find some inspiration. What type of music would my character listen to? What song would be playing in the background if this became a movie? Once I figure that out, I hit play, sit back and chill out and suddenly I’m inside Erin’s head or Tommy’s or even my gorgeous vampire James’ mind. I feel what’s coursing through their veins, experience the swell of emotion crashing over them. I’m thinking like them, seeing what they see, hearing what they hear. For those few minutes while the song plays, I become them. And then I can go back to writing.

Pretty Green Eyes by Ultrabeat

While “Pretty Green Eyes” isn’t mentioned in the book, when I read the opening chapter scene of the roof party, this is what I see people dancing to. It’s fun and upbeat, but there’s a moody undertone I feel sums up how Erin is feeling at the time. “November in New York was cold and full of possibility. Erin Harris looked up at the black sky from the roof of her apartment building. She missed the stars. Back home in Copperfield, Arizona, she’d taken them for granted.” Erin is a freshman at art college in The Big Apple. She’s experiencing her first taste of freedom and independence. It’s all good, but something is missing. There’s a yearning in her for something sensual, something romantic.


You Really Got Me by The Kinks
The gorgeous Tommy Hyde, painter and motorcycling enthusiast tells Erin he knew he wanted her from the moment she chose “You Really Got Me” by The Kinks at a freshman party. That rock ‘n’ roll song has a sexy, growling tone to it. Erin might be considered quiet by her friends, but she’s got a rockier, wilder edge to her. Tommy sees the hunger for life in her, and he wants to be the one to bring it out. While Erin loves this song, this track would be very familiar to James, who was made a vampire over three decades ago.


Because of You and Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
Erin is trying desperately to forget her heated kiss on the roof with James Linkin, hottie vampire who was her first love back home in Arizona. She knows she should move on and find someone else, preferably human. Right at that moment, “Because of You” comes on the radio and Erin feels like banging her head against the wall. When I wrote Under the Desert Moon, the first story that introduces us to Erin when she is seventeen years old, Kelly Clarkson’s “Breakaway” really helped drive Erin’s story forward. “Grew up in a small town. And when the rain would fall down, I’d just stare out my window. Dreaming of what could be and if I’d end up happy. I would pray… I could breakaway.”


Paradise City by Guns N’ Roses

Erin is with her twin brother, Nick, and friends at a club where a rock band is performing the catchy Guns N’ Roses hit. Despite the spot of insane vampire hunting Nick had planned, the group end up enjoying themselves and dancing. This scene is just a fun moment in the book and a break from all the supernatural worries.


Use Somebody by Kings of Leon

Erin’s best friend and roommate, Sadie, slyly requests the rock band at the club to play “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon. Erin glares at her friend, knowing full well Sadie chose that particular song because of how it makes Erin feel. “Always creating a yearning in her, for something, or more specifically, someone.” If I could only use three words to describe this song, they’d have to be moody, sexy and atmospheric.


About the Author:

Emma Meade lives in Ireland where it rains a lot. Reading and writing supernatural fiction, watching marathon re-runs of Buffy and drinking lots and lots of tea are some of her favourite activities. She’s never met a vampire, but thinks it would be kind of cool to meet one. Visit her on her blog, Emma’s Ramblings on Supernatural fiction at emmameade.com or on her website emmameadebooks.com

Website: emmameadebooks.com
Blog: emmameade.com
Twitter: @EmmaMeadeIrl https://twitter.com/EmmaMeadeIrl
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4229395.Emma_Meade
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/emmameadewrites
Amazon Author Page





1 comment:

  1. Great songs! I loved this list and I truly enjoy Emma's work:O) I wish you well on your tour!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates