Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feed photo goodreads_icon_zps7ecb2984.png

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

12 Days of Christmas ~ Meet Becky Wicks

What do authors do when they’re not writing?


We drink coffee, and maybe gin. OK, both.

Sometimes all I do, all day, is drink coffee and stare at my laptop. It’s not exactly the healthiest of lifestyles is it? I’m well aware I’m 34 and should possibly be out there looking for a husband but seriously, I’m BUSY. (Oh, but this is set to change next year, I’m moving to Nashville to travel using the Tinder app, and maybe find my man?!).

We dream
The world in my head often demands far more of my time than the one outside of it and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that respect.

We read, read, and read some more!When I do shut that laptop, I read. I read everything, from other books in the new adult genre, to the classics, to articles on self-publishing and books on reincarnation – my latest topic of interest (I’m pretty sure I was some kind of southern cowgirl at times because… well, it’s weird, but there’s a reason this Brit wants to go to Nashville!) I think I want to write a book, a romance, based on reincarnation somehow, maybe after my next Starstruck novel?

We hang out with other writers! I have a friend here in Bali who’s an author too. Her name is Sarah Alderson and she wrote the YA books Hunting Lila, The Sound, Fated - also the new adult Come Back To Me, which is a tear-jerking journey of awesomeness that you NEED to read. When we get together we tend to do things like this to lighten the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSnbVBSitYI

We’re probably bigger Disney fans than Sarah’s 8 year old daughter and the Frozen movie always cheers us up, especially when someone writes a bad review of one of our books (boo!).

We listen to Taylor Swift a lot, too.
I think Taylor gives out a very powerful message to young women, and us writers, too. You have to believe in your own worth. And never give up on your dreams. Whenever you’re having a bad day, just Shake it Off!

So yes, we sing, we talk, we read, we act like idiots and we keep on searching for inspiration. 
Sometimes we come up with some great ideas when we’re out there not even expecting them to strike! A book about a southern cowgirl from the past who likes Disney movies when she travels forward in time, to a coffee shop, in Bali? YES!

OK, no. So I still have some things to work out. Video cameras off, and it’s back to the grind. Make mine a long black, please…


Becky Wicks is the HarperCollins author of travel memoirs Burqalicious, Balilicious and Latinalicious, plus the StartStruck Series, Before He Was Famous, Before He Was Gone and Before He Was A Secret. Follow her @bex_wicks and on her blog: www.beckywicks.com


US a Rafflecopter giveaway
INT a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think so leave me a comment! :)

*I have enabled comment moderation to limit spam*

 
 
Blogger Templates